Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The power of silence

My eyes, still, the horizon is lost. I see the distant lights, and I seem to belong to another world, the world from which I retreat for ten days, in order to reassess and see from another perspective. At the sound of gongs us all move towards the meditation hall. Respecting the noble silence, everyone is immersed in their thoughts and memories, while the whole continues to experience back as the film of a film. I sit down, close my eyes and beginning to observe. 

According to the instructions of Vipassana, we must remain property for one hour, three times a day, trying not to identify with the physical pain that sooner or later, however, arrives. We must train the mind to remain calm, fair, impartial, given that physical pain becomes unbearable only when pain becomes mental. The work that we are given is to observe, in addition to the breath, physical sensations in the body and to experience their impermanent nature. Arise and go, rise and go, incessantly. We are continually repeated that the real wisdom is to recognize and accept that every experience is impermanent. With this knowledge we will never be overwhelmed by the ups and downs of life. We all came here to learn the art of living. 

Suddenly, I feel weak, alone, immersed in this deep malaise that does not allow me to move. Rivivo with the same intensity, the same suffering and anxiety of a situation 15 years ago and beginning to cry. Part of me wonders "how could you?" And continues to suggest "notes, trying to maintain a peaceful mind." My face is completely wet, I feel the tears in the throat, but I get around. I continue to observe, so that will pass. I was convinced that he had passed this pain, of course, was much more profound than I could imagine. The song from the tape warns that an hour has passed. I slowly get up and go out with a strange feeling of emptiness and lightness emotional body, rather shocked by just living. In the morning the next day, during the first meditation group, I feel, quite deliberately, to recall the same event that made me cry the night before. I am fair to observe quell'episodio of my life as if it belonged to me at all, but with a feeling of deep compassion and love for the protagonist (which in reality was I). The knowledge that once again, thanks to Vipassana, it changed something inside me, makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment